Sunday, January 30, 2005

Congratulations, Iraq.
from the mind of  Unknown.

"I walked forward to my station, cast my vote and then headed to the box, where I wanted to stand as long as I could, then I moved to mark my finger with ink, I dipped it deep as if I was poking the eyes of all the world's tyrants.
I put the paper in the box and with it, there were tears that I couldn't hold; I was trembling with joy and I felt like I wanted to hug the box but the supervisor smiled at me and said "brother, would you please move ahead, the people are waiting for their turn".
-Mohammed and Omar of Iraq the Model

Freedom took a step forward today. Regardless of how complicated staging a vote is in a country such as Iraq, regardless of the statistics behind the election, regardless of who wins... Freedom prevailed today. I feel lucky to be alive and be able to witness so many people tasting for the first time a freedom that my friends and family and I take for granted on a daily basis.

Where are the cries today of 'No blood for OIL!' and 'Bush Lied' from people other than Mr. Chappaquidick and our favorite French looking Vietnam War hero. It doesn't take much decency and logic at all to see how great of a day today is.

Watch out Iran. Watch out Syria. Watch out Egypt. Watch out N. Korea. A force much stronger than the United States' Military is coming to town... Freedom is on a roll.

Welcome to the club, great people of Iraq. Your joy and enthusiasm displayed today has reminded me of how great of a world we live in. The next time I vote, I will be thinking of you... and possibly dipping my finger in a bottle of blue ink.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home